Last semester, I felt I had finally settled in at Calvin College. I had found out what was across the Beltline, gotten a job and figured out that b-quiv actually stands for "breakfast equivalency" (a chance to get an evening snack in place of a meal on your meal plan). If you didn't know, now you know. You're welcome.
Feeling comfortable, I decided I should branch out and join a few organizations. "A few," I told myself. I applied for a number of organizations. Even though I knew I had applied to more organizations than I could balance being a part of, I also doubted my ability to be accepted into all the things I applied for. To my surprise, I did get accepted, and I didn't refuse any offers! But like Michelle in Full House kept reminding me...
So, I went ahead and committed to three jobs, three leadership opportunities, 17 credit classes (which felt more like 20) and a whole lot of friends. Now how am I surviving? Only God can answer that.
I still didn't believe I was over-committing until I viewed all the symptoms:
- The word NO didn't exist in my vocabulary: I checked for myself:
"When you nod your head yes
But you wanna say no
What do you mean? Hey-ey"
Well, I tried pronouncing the word (which might be new to you): /noʊ/ It's not as hard as I thought, and I found it's okay to say no sometimes.
- Professional multitasking: Ever heard of professional multitasking? It's what I do best, and should be evident on my resume!
- Social life?: And I replied, "What is that?" and, "Where can I get one?" "I sleep for fun" "... Okay, I guess that equals no social life."
- My planner, my partner: I can't even fathom how my day would go without my planner. We formed a special bond; I'd probably be lost without it. And yes, I have tons of scribbles in my planner; it helps keep me on track.
- Where can I buy time?: No matter how much I try, there never seems to be enough time in a day. Despite that, I never forget to sleep.
- I always need more sleep: I can assure you I'm not sleep deprived, but no matter what, I still always feel like I need more sleep!
- FUN: However much the commitment, there's still an exciting feeling that keeps you going! I'm not sure if it's the coffee or the chocolate. I will probably keep being involved and enjoy the life moments!