As you all know, applying to college can be so stressful. At least for me it was! Plus, there were essays that had to be written...oh so many essays!
I heard about Calvin from my mum's friend, whose children go here. At first I didn't even want to consider Calvin as an option because I wondered:
- What are the benefits of going to a Christian college?
- Will Calvin be too small of a college for me?
- Will I fit in as a woman of color?
- How will I deal with the weather? It's REALLY cold in the winter!
- What are the advantages of studying engineering in a liberal arts school?
But I was convinced to apply anyway, so I did. And, as you may have guessed, I got in. I still wasn't thinking I would actually come to Calvin, but I started to learn more.
I was told how beautiful and peaceful the campus was, but I was only able to experience this with the views I saw from Google Maps because, like most international students, I couldn't visit ahead of time.
So why did I end up choosing Calvin? I actually didn't. My parents did.
Now, as a sophomore, I believe they made the best decision for me. At the time, they knew me better than I knew myself. I found something out in my first year: Calvin is awesome. And the people here? Even more awesome.
I've come to love the little things:
- Calvin makes you WONDER every day about new ideas and new perspectives.
- There are countless opportunities to do so much! I love getting involved and, as a bonus, it is quickly building my resume. It's also a blessing to be able to explore my interests beyond my major.
- The environment is so friendly, it's infectious. It even gets to the faculty members.
- A liberal arts education is FUN. And no, I'm not kidding. It truly makes you well-rounded and allows you to make connections across different areas of life.
- Despite Calvin being a Christian college it doesn't force religion on you. Believe it or not, we have a number of non-Christians. It's just if you chose to build your Christian faith they are here to help! Also, it makes the professors nicer. :)
So, even though I couldn't have predicted it when filling out my application, I love being a Calvin Knight!